Saturday, September 05, 2009

Car insurance

I don’t watch much TV but I have seen the advert.

 

My car insurance came round again and I felt that the renewal was bit steep with little change from £350. The Internet is my friend so I picked a price comparison site at random (there are other price comparison sites available on the market)...hmm, I’ve just thought, I wonder if there is a site to compare the price comparison sites?

 

Anyway, I typed in all of my details and was astonished. Sufficiently so that I called my insurer to see what they could do to reduce my premium. We ran through all of my details and he corrected my old mileage estimate (low) to my new mileage estimate (higher). Pressing his big red button, he came back with a figure of nearly £400. What’s that all about? He then looked at other options but was unable to reduce the premium. He asked the price I had managed to find online and I told him it was £200 and that it was a sufficient difference that if he couldn’t match or beat the price, I would vote with my feet.

 

He couldn’t.

 

But he did speak to his Manager and get a Manager level discount. So would I be interested if they brought it down to £320? Erm...hello? What planet do you come from when £320 is equal to or lower than £200? I cancelled my renewal with them.

 

My insurance is now with another firm. It was fast, I’m now insured. £170. I just saved HALF.

1 comment:

Gareth Perry said...

Sounds like an excellent deal - It's ridiculous that people have the gall to think that they can reduce the quote by £30 and still keep you on their books. I've managed to get Adapt to increase our internet bandwidth from 10MB to 100MB and save £9000 in fees over 3 years - bargain. But as I said to you previously we have a packeteer box controlling the 10MB connection. Which is licenses to 10MB. Bluecoat want us to pay £24,000 to increase this license to 100MB. Slightly excessive, hence to say we're not going to keep our packeteer box...