Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The housing market

For those of you reading on the wrong side of the pond that's "Real estate".

The UK may or may not be about to go through a house price problem where the prices may stay level or may drop by up to 35% over the next 5 years. Be that as it may, I still need me a house.

Purchase cost + purchasing costs + renovation costs + selling costs = Total expenditure

Profit = Sale price - total expenditure

Even predicting no change in overall house prices in the next 12 months, I cannot seem to find me a house that I can get without making a loss. If I'm going to make a loss on it, I may as well minimise the loss and the figures show I'm best off staying in rented accommodation. This is NOT what I want to do but it minimises the amount of work I need to do, maximises my free time, leaves my deposit account as it stands and minimises my exposure to the housing markets ups and downs.

The trouble is I really wanted one of the houses, I'd paid a reasonable amount of money out towards getting it and it would have been ideal as a base for the next 12 months. Who knows, maybe this time next year I'll be retired and living in the lap of luxury on board a yacht in the Maldives and will have no need for a house in draughty old England.

Alternatively, I could be living with you...whoever you are... :-)

No comments: