Thursday, April 26, 2007

Organisational charts - the easy way

Corp appears to have a problem in Active Directory. Each member of staff has their job description, department, phone number and manager completed, all objects appear ok but for some reason I just can't get things going right and there is a gremlin in there somewhere.

Visio 2007 includes a great little organisational chart wizard (yuck, spits on floor and thinks of SBS) that allows the punter to use Exchange / Outlook to query AD and build up the chart that way. So any org whose AD is up to date and completed correctly can have an almost instant org chart.

So I pointed my Visio at AD and a few presses of Next later I have a stunning org chart except that anyone beginning with A is missing along with their underlings. This further cements my contention that AD has a problem. So who do I know that can edit ntds.dit in Notepad in a second language in his sleep? Perhaps I need to give a tiny clue...

No comments: