Monday, April 16, 2007

SQL Server 2005

I have now deployed my first 64 bit SQL 2005 on Windows 64 bit. 16GB RAM, yadda, yadda.

 

Gone is SQL Enterprise Manager, instead replaced with SQL Server Management Studio. Admittedly it looks vaguely similar but once you scratch the surface, as I did, I started to rock backwards and forwards.

 

Yes, Exchange 2007 has gone all posh too and the interfaces always benefit from a revamp. But it is just so complicated, even something as simple as a maintenance plan. Add to the complexity the fact that I want to use Quest’s excellent Litespeed to save space on disk and tape.

 

I may even have to ask for a course to learn this stuff – there is now so much complexity that self learning isn’t enough. Especially on mission critical systems!

No comments: