Saturday, March 29, 2008

Change of circumstances

After nearly 12 years with the same firm, I'm now a gentleman of leisure. With the firm downsizing (from 135 to 70 in 12 months), there is no need for an IT Manager.

Nonetheless, despite knowing this I carried on with the premises move and worked my precious Easter weekend to get them into the new building smoothly. For the last time, me and my team worked superbly. Michael with his patience and diligence, Matt like a howling banshee, whipping through the firm fixing problems before the external consultants could even explain them to him. I also worked through, a mixture of them both.

I am incredibly proud of my two boys (and in fact the others I have managed at that firm over the years), they worked properly and they worked long hours. Good Friday we all worked 10 hours and Easter Saturday we all worked at least 14 hours.

The users arrived on Tuesday expecting chaos. Instead most things were working - much to the chagrin of some of the staff!

I leave that firm running incredibly smoothly with excellent documentation and a clear direction for the department. My head is held high and my pride is intact. Michael remains there under the new manager, Mr Perry, and Matt and I are moving to pastures new.

It may not be a trumpet fanfare from Matt's new company but they will suddenly find themselves running smoother than ever. He's so good at what he does, he can't even explain things out loud - "You just do this and it works". It has been a pleasure to manage him over the last 7 years and I wish him well in his new pursuits.

1 comment:

Mattwednesday said...

I never got to thank you for this


Glad things are better for you